quasi diarist
of what-nots and all that jazz
03 July 2005
what a tram ride can do
It was Agatha's birthday yesterday. She turned nineteen. Six days after, when you count today as one, it'll be Hazel's. Henceforth, upon reaching the tenth of november, it'll be mine. A lot of nice things happened today. For one, Hazel had her first MRT ride. I was amazed that she immediately knew what side to insert into that machine. She said that she was told about that before and I wondered why my family didn't do the same. Anyway, that's beside the point.

We met with Rex and had snack/cake-fest/coffee-tea-party at CBTL in Gateway. Courtesy of Rex's tip, I had the I-so-love-cheese-and-so-I-will-have-layers-of-it cake. It was a triple and yes, it was everything keso. After much kwentos and catching up (mind you, we see each other once a year, in July, where three of us have our bertdays), Rex had to leave due to an already set appointment with a friend. So there, after goodbyes and smiles, we promise ourselves that we'll watch Fantastic Four together and go bowling (thereby increasing the meetings to thrice a year).

Just for details' sake, we watched Monster-in-Law in Greenbelt after strolling and then realizing that we're about to be late again for a movie and so we semi-ran.

In the midst of unknown people, forearms shoved here and there, apparently to set themselves against the powers of inertia, I told Airah and Jeona, "Didn't you realize that we've been together since we were ten?" And then they tell Agatha, "Didn't you realize we've known each other since we were seven?"

Yes, it's true. I've been with them since the year I experienced the first signs of adolescence. It's kinda creepy when you think about it. But it spurs a sense of nostalgia, whether we admit it or not. About nine years ago, I came to SPED wearing a curduroy skirt and a white long-sleeved top with braided hair to boot. Before you praise me about my memory I'm telling you that it's not I who remembered those (I couldn't care less about my clothes when I'm in a fucking new school with no friends and no knowledge of the "Panatang Makabayan"). It was them who perpetually joked about what how wierd I looked amidst a group of students clad in jeans, colored tops, and snickers. Heck, they even remember that my blue curduroy skirt had teddy bear prints on it.

You see, we've really gone through a lot (i.e. making each other feel stupid, calling each other bobo, or just plain cursing and bitching around). Although not exclusively around each other cos we had our own small groups to go everyday with, I think it's pretty amazing that we still consider each other really good friends, all four of us, all these years. Besides, not all people are lucky enough to have long-standing friendships.

Some people think I take things way seriously. I won't disagree cos I find myself wanting to kick me for doing so. So it follows that I take my relationships seriously, especially the one I have with friends. Calling someone a friend is not too easy for me. Not the tipong, "Ah, no, she's my friend-friend lang. The other one, she's my friend talaga." Friend talaga--I don't get the point. It's not like you can have the word friend raised to the nth power depending on the depth of the friendship you share with the person. It's like pitching a Volvo as Buy-1-Take-1. I bet you any marketer will kick the ass out of your dimwitted head for even thinking about it.

Anyway, why did I post about this? It's because someone's celebrating her birthday, one is thinking about going to Korea for a year, and were all cramped up in one of the MRT carts, and the day was so made to be nostalgic with matching drizzles and falling leaves.

On the other hand it just might be because I'm fucking sentimental *mentally kicking oneself*.
posted by zelina @ 6:17 PM  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: zelina
Home: QC
About Me: caffeine-dependent; can never carry a punchline; obsessive compulsive; appreciates all forms of self-expression; relates walking to euphoria; thinks too much for one's own good.
See my complete profile
Previous Post
Archives
Shoutbox
Links
Powered by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER